CoMetReporter is a tool to better manage and maintain your Cognos BI 8.x and 10.x metadata. The software enables you to query and search your Cognos Connection’s metadata such as Folder, Query, Report, View, Shortcut, … properties in an easy way. It also includes metadata reporting of your Framework Manager model and links it to you reports and queries swift and easy. This way you are able to make a top to bottom mapping of your report’s data items to the originating database column! Answer all your questions about your environment, which reports are scheduled when, which reports are being send by mail and to whom, perform impact analysis tasks quickly, list and export all this information, and so on.
It is a metadata reporting layer on top of Cognos 8 BI.
- Reads Framework Manager model data.
- Reads Cognos Connection metadata.
- Loads metadata into to a relational database.
- Provides a semantic layer on top of this metadata.
It’s not the Cognos Audit package, it’s in addition of Cognos Audit.
Who is the target audience?
CometReporter is intended for:
- the Cognos BI system administrator;
- the business analyst;
- the Framework Manager modeler;
- and the report author.
What can we use it for?
When working in Cognos Connection in an environment that is intensively used, we are often faced with questions regarding the metadata of reports, folders, views, and all other objects within Cognos Connection. Questions we ask ourselves every day but for which Cognos does not offer an easy to use and straight forward way of answering it. We need to browse through the portal open different screens and view the properties to find answers. Using CoMetReporter you can easily browse through the metadata of Cognos Connection and all its objects using for instance Query Studio!
Examples of the things we are looking for in Cognos Connection:
- Which reports/jobs are scheduled when?
- Which output formats are being used?
- Which reports are bursted?
- Which reports are being mailed? To whom?
- Where do reportviews reside for which reports?
- How do packages link to reports?
- Which reports fail when being executed?
- You want to keep track of report execution time beyond the track of Cognos?
A business analyst or Cognos report author can have questions regarding the reports hosted on the Cognos system. Next questions can pop up when modifying reports, changing the model, looking for objects and items used on reports etc.:
- Which data items are used on a report?
- Which hyperlinks, images are being used?
- Which filters are being used on which reports?
- What calculations are being used?
- Which prompts are being used?
- How do data items map back to the model?
Besides all the metadata related to your Cognos Connection environment, CoMetReporter also extracts, transforms and loads the Framework Manager model’s metadata. This way you are able to report on items used in your model and you can automate specific documentation tasks:
- Automatically generate a mapping starting from the database layer, over the business layer to the presentation layer within your Framework Manager model up to data items used within a report.
- Perform bulk impact analysis when modifying your semantic layer.
- Automate release notes when publishing a new package to production by comparing the current version against the previous version.
- Create a package structure report for easy discussion with the business users about how the package should be structured in a logical way.
Semantic Layer entities in CoMetReporter v1.0
- Report Studio Reports
- Query Studio Reports
- Run History
- Report Run History
- Model objects
- Query Items
- Query Subjects
- Windows XP
- Windows Server 2000
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
Supported Cognos Versions
- Cognos BI 8.x
- Cognos BI 10.x
Next databases are supported for storing the data
- SQL Server
- 2x size XML file being parsed
CoMetReporter connects using ODBC to the CoMetReporter’s database. It can be scheduled using commandline for use in scripts, other applications, batch files, etc.